Home » Professional Development
Category Archives: Professional Development
- home state
- a list of courses you will complete by the end of fall 2013
- general areas of interest
- projects you are interested in (minimum of two; maximum of three)
- why you are interested in those particular projects
Involvement in professional organizations is an important aspect of every librarian’s career. So why not join an organization now with your peers and take advantage of student rates? Student membership in ALA is only $34 per year while regular membership starts at $66 and increases to over $130 per year.
After receiving email confirmation of your status as an ALA member, leave a comment on UK ALA’s facebook wall or send a tweet to @UK_ALA announcing you are a proud member of ALA and you will be entered into a drawing for a $20 Amazon gift card. All tweets and comments must be received by October 15th. A winner will be announced via the SLIS listserv on October 25th.
Benefits of joining ALA national:
Automatically becoming a due paying member of the UK ALA student chapter
Registering with 2 Round Tables at no additional cost
- Having the opportunity to join ALA divisions, such as the Public Library Association (PLA) and the Library and Information Technology Association (LITA) at a discounted rate
- Taking advantage of discount rates for conference registration
- Networking with other library school students and information professionals
- Accessing American Libraries magazine (11 issues per year) and AL Direct (via email) for free
- Being eligible to receive grants, scholarships, and awards
Benefits of joining UK ALA Student Chapter:
- Networking with other library school students, which can be beneficial later in your career
- Being the first to hear about upcoming chapter events, such as October’s informational talk about library conferences, which will include information about registering, receiving funds, and presenting.
- Becoming involved in your library school education