As we enter the holiday season, the University of Kentucky American Library Association Student Chapter (UK ALA) would like your help with giving back to the community. Libraries provide many critical resources to community members, but communities always need more aid.
This year, UK ALA is hosting a food drive from November 13th – December 18th to collect canned foods and other goods for the benefit of the Lexington community and the communities of our program’s distance students. We would love to have participants from all over the country, so feel free to share our drive with friends and family. Let’s make an impact this holiday season!
For the local drive, we are partnering with God’s Pantry Food Bank , which is a member of Feeding America and the Kentucky Association of Food Banks. Currently, the food bank needs the following non-perishable items: canned fruits and vegetables, canned meat, cereal, peanut butter, baby food (no glass, please), canned soup, etc.
We are offering many opportunities for participation, so feel free to choose whichever option works best for you. If you want to take part in our drive, you can:
Drop off donations in one of the collection boxes on UK’s campus
- SLIS Lobby (3rd Floor, Lucille Little Fine Arts Library)
- UK Writing Center (B108-B W. T. Young Library)
- 13th Floor, Patterson Office Tower (outside Room 1353)
- Make a monetary donation online
- Be sure to select the UK ALA Food Drive from the drop down menu
- Purchase a pre-made bag at a Fayette County Kroger Store and donate it in-store
- Donate to your community’s food bank and send us an e-mail
No matter which option you choose, don’t forget to share your story with us via social media. Take a picture of your donation and share it with the hashtag #GiveWithUKALA.
Join us this holiday season to show our communities how much we care.
The UK ALA Student Chapter